Photo credit: DiasporaEngager (www.DiasporaEngager.com).
ICRISAT seeks applications from Indian nationals for the position of Senior Scientific Officer to support ICRISAT Development Center (IDC), Research Program-Asia on Natural Resource Management. The staff will be based at Jhansi, UP, Bundelkhand region. IDC is involved in a number of Government and CSR projects towards implementing Natural Resource Management interventions; ICRISAT is currently implementing KISAN MITrA-Doubling farmers’ income project in seven districts of Uttar Pradesh state. These positions are intended to implement various soil, water, nutrient, agronomy interventions and undertaking various water harvesting measures suitable for the pilot sites along with intensive data monitoring.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi- arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these disadvantaged populations to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agricultural production systems.
ICRISAT is headquartered at Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and eight country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT envisions a prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics. Its mission is to reduce poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics. ICRISAT conducts research on its mandate crops of chickpea, pigeonpea, groundnut, sorghum, pearl millet and finger millet in the arid and semi-arid tropics. The Institute focuses its work on the drylands and in protecting the environment. Tropical dryland areas are usually seen as resource-poor and perennially beset by shocks such as drought, thereby trapping dryland communities in poverty and hunger and making them dependent on external aid. Please visit – www.icrisat.org
Role and Responsibilities:
- To supervise on-farm farmer participatory action research trials on various productivity enhancement interventions (soil tested based balanced nutrients application; testing, evaluating and promoting improved crop cultivars; farm mechanization interventions, etc.) in different districts of Uttar Pradesh
- To identify suitable sites for undertaking rainwater harvesting (in-situ and ex-situ intervention), agroforestry, fodder development and promotion interventions
- Constant interactions with the farmers, researchers and Department of Agriculture officials and act as a liaison person in the district. Staff should liaise with various stakeholders such as farmers, village community, consortium partners, line department officials and scientists at ICRISAT and other national institutes; develop village and field scale project interventions
- To organize capacity building/exposure visits/field days’/farmers days/etc. to field functionaries and farmers
- Intensive field data monitoring to capture various project progress and impact indicators;
- All other project related activities as per the need
Qualifications and competencies:
- Master’s degree in agricultural engineering/soil science/agriculture extension/agronomy and related NRM disciplines at least 5 years of work experience;
- Minimum of one year working experience in Bundelkhand region or similar ecology;
- Demonstrate capacity to work collaboratively as part of multi-disciplinary team;
- Perform other duties as requested by the district coordinators/state coordinator of the project;
- Willingness to work in extremely challenging environment of Bundelkhand region
The is a Consolidated position initially for a period of 12 months, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent, Funding availability and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 21 May 2021, with their latest Resume, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”
Source of original article: ICRISAT (www.icrisat.org).
The content of this article does not necessarily reflect the views or opinion of Global Diaspora News (www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com).
To submit your press release: (https://www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/pr).
To advertise on Global Diaspora News: (www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/ads).
Sign up to Global Diaspora News newsletter: (https://www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/newsletter/) to start receiving updates and opportunities directly in your email inbox for free.