Photo credit: DiasporaEngager (www.DiasporaEngager.com).
Synopsis of the Request for Proposal (Individual Consultants)
|Solicitation Reference No.||RFP/011/SC/2021|
|Title of Solicitation||Case Study Development Consultant|
|Issuing Office & Address||Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) Website: www.agra.org|
|Point of contact for clarifications, questions and ammendments||AGRA General Procurement, [email protected]|
|Email Address for submission of Proposals/ Quotes||AGRA General Procurement, [email protected]|
|Solicitation Issue Date||March 23rd , 2021|
|Deadline for submission questions and clarifications||March 26th, 2021 1700 hours, East African Time|
|Deadline for Answering questions and clarifications||March 30th , 2021 1700 hours, East African Time|
|Deadline for Submission of Proposals||April 6th , 2021 1700 hours, East African Time Please include the subject line “RFP/011/SC/2021-Case Study Development consultant” of the email|
|Revised Submission deadline||April 29th, 2021 1700 hours, East African Time|
|Type of consultant||Individual Consultants Only|
|Anticipated Award Type||CONSULTANCY AGREEMENT|
|Submission and Evaluation Criteria||Bidders are encouraged to register as a vendor via the link provided below and provide the listed information in the submitted proposal: https://ekjd.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/fscmUI/faces/PrcPosRegisterSupplier?prcBuId=300000001758868
Mandatory pre-registration documents:
Mandatory Eligibility Requirement:
Evaluation Criteria summary:
NB: Only the candidate with the best technical proposal equal or above 75% shall be considered for financial negotiations
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CASE STUDY DEVELOPMENT CONSULTANT (CENTRE FOR AFRICAN LEADERS IN AGRICULTURE, AGRA, 2021)
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyse Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the centre of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA’s strategy works to catalyse and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. The role of leadership is critical to delivery of Agriculture transformation in Africa. AGRA’s State Capability work across Africa has shown an urgent need to support the leadership in the Agriculture sector to deliver on country transformation initiatives.
In response to this need, AGRA has launched the Centre for African Leaders in Agriculture (CALA) to provide hands-on implementation support for African leaders in the agriculture sector. CALA is a key part of a scale-up of investment to AGRA by the German Development Cooperation through KfW Development Bank. CALA represents a deepening of AGRA’s ongoing support to state capability, and is complementary to the technical assistance that AGRA has been providing to transform national and regional agriculture priorities alongside government, public and private sector partners. In addition to KfW’s founding financial support and AGRA’s lead role, the Centre has two implementing partners which include the African Management Institute (AMI) and USAID’s Policy LINK.
CALA will initially offer a 16-month Collaborative Leadership Programme for Food Security and Sustainability targeting established and emerging leaders spearheading priority country-level agriculture strategies. The programme’s core focus will be on supporting leaders in government, the private sector, and civil society across eight initial countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Ghana and Malawi) with the practical skills to navigate, coordinate and better implement solutions to national agriculture challenges. The programme will also have special focus on agro-ecological principles which are increasingly being recognized as contributing to sustainable farming and food production, and resilient food systems in the face of increasing climate change impacts. CALA includes in-country coaching, continuous modular digital learning series, the attendance of the participants in two leadership forums per learning journey as well as in the African Green Revolution Forum.
CALA plans to deliver a unique curriculum centred on Leadership development for the Agriculture sector; case studies of “game changers” in Agriculture and a blend of management skills for delivery. The Centre’s blended learning approach is anchored is focused on practical, hands-on leadership support and development. For appropriate structure and consistency of learning, virtual learning modules will be developed. These are not academic, or theoretical but interactive, flexible sessions informed by participant demand to hone leadership skills enabling better implementation practices.
The Case studies of ‘Game-changers’ in agriculture will maintain collaborative leadership as the overarching theme tying them all together. The ‘game changer’ focus areas of these case studies include among others : Prioritization of agriculture investments focused on Public-Private Partnerships; Leadership for Agro-ecology, climate change adaptation and resilience; Food systems in practice focusing on nutrition outcomes; Harnessing and scaling digital technologies for agriculture development; Evidence-use for policy making e.g., during the COVID-19 crisis; Harnessing cross-border market development opportunities; Women’s leadership in Agri-business, and opportunities for value chain integration. These focus areas are subject to change.
AGRA is seeking to engage a Consultant to handle the preparation of eight to ten case studies along the ‘game-changing’ agriculture transformation focus areas outlined above and drawing out the overarching program theme – Collaborative Leadership for Sustainability and Food security. AGRA will commission most of the case study content to be developed by experts from within its networks of practitioners and knowledge partners. The consultant will be the lead on writing them up according to an agreed format, curating them under the program’s focus, editing and translating them into the wider CALA curriculum working closely with the African Management Institute.
Specifically, the Consultant will work in cooperation and collaboration with AGRA on the following:
Key activities of the assignment will include:
|1. Contribute to fine-tuning the focus areas around CALA’s program theme of collaborative leadership||Finalised list of 8-10 focus areas in selected geographies with one page concept note against each focus area explaining the content|
|2. Lead the design of the case studies, including the template/ format, and develop required contents including the executive summary of the compiled case studies||Standardised case study template|
|3. Assist AGRA in identifying resource persons/organizations – lead Authors, contributing authors, knowledge partners and other input providers including providing the contact information of the resource Persons proposed||Excel tracker with all contact details of resource persons/ organization and content contributors to the case studies|
|4. Coordinate the development of case study content across the identified resource/ knowledge partners to ensure alignment to the agriculture transformation focus and the collaborative leadership theme.||Engagement plan with content contributors with clear timelines|
|5. Conduct virtual interviews to complement the case study content developed by the resource/knowledge partners and develop the completed case studies||Distilled interview content informing the development of the case studies|
|6. Curate the case study content received from the various resource/ knowledge partners, and be the lead writer to ensure cohesion around CALA’s collaborative leadership theme||8-10 completed case studies along the agriculture transformation focus areas all highlighting lessons on collaborative leadership|
|7. Work closely with AGRA, and implementing partners to ensure seamless translation of the case studies into the overall curriculum||Case studies integrated into AMI’s virtual learning platform|
|8. Draw out the foreward, the leadership recommendations and conclusions of the case studies as well as the executive summary of the compiled case studies’ report||Foreward, leadership reccomendation and conclusions clearly outlined to package the case studies as a cohesive report|
|9. Support the roll-out of the case studies in the overarching curriculum at the inagural leadership forum July 5-7, 2021.||Virtual presentation at the July leadership forum on what participants can expect from the Case Studies in the curriculum|
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
The consultant will be expected to have the following profile:
- Masters or PhD in Agriculture development or Agriculture-related area
- Proven experience specifically in case study development, methodology and writing
- 10+ years experience working with the public sector in agriculture, and in private sector development in Africa
- Experience coordinating partners in planning and strategy development for agriculture reports
- Knowledge and experience of leadership development and training in Africa
- Knowledge of agricultural and economic transformation and poverty reduction in SSA,
- Comprehensive understanding of the agricultural landscape in SSA
- Deep networks in the African Agriculture sector among knowledge leaders, policy makers, public and private sector project implementers
- Exemplary analytical and writing skills
- Experience in curriculum development for diverse cohorts
- Expert in conducting structured qualitative interviews
- Experience working in or writing on the fields of environmental sustainability/ agro-ecology preffered but not required
Rights of the Consultant
In performing the responsibilities, The Consultant will have the following rights:-
- To be reimbursed for the direct expenses related to the functions mentioned above.
- To participate in the process of selection and supervision of contributors
- To write, review and improve on all case study content/ material received from contributors
- To write and review all case study drafts that will be incorporated into the CALA curriculum
- To compile, write, copy-edit, proof read, formatt and integrate the report into the CALA curriculum
- The consultant and key contributors to the report will be cited in the editorial page of the case study compilation
- AGRA will be responsible for overall identification of case study content developers from its network of experts
- AGRA will be responsible for managing the relationship between the consultant and the implementing partners
- AGRA will organize a workshop to deliberate on the final consolidated case studies and the Consultant will be invited to facilitate the workshop
- The published report will be accredited to AGRA and AGRA will be the main custodian of the case studies
1. AGRA will have the right to cooperate with different specialists from other institutions that can contribute content to the case studies.
2. Request from the Consultant all information and documents necessary for the development of the case studies
Proposed overall design of the case studies
- Aim for one content contributor for each case study
- Draw expertise from African public, private sector, civil society and AGRA’s partners such as:
– Government ministries and projects
– Tony Blair Institute
– UN bodies e.g., UNEP, FAO
– CGIARs e.g., IFPRI etc.
– AECF, AGRF, Generation Africa
– World Bank and other DFIs
– Universities/Research institutions e.g., Stellenbosch Sustainability Institute
– Policy bodies and think tanks e.g., MAFAP, BFAP
– Other Leadership Organisations such as AWARD, ALU, WEF Transformation champions, L4Ag
– Private sector (Grantees/ agri-businesses/ corporations)
- Develop a preliminary Table of Contents that shows integration of the selected agriculture transformation focus areas under the umbrella theme of collaborative leadership
- Synthesize and write up the case study content showcasing country experiences with a regional flow
Proposed case study structure
The case studies should be content-rich, concise, informative and interesting. They are expected to be 5-10 pages maximum and the following structure is proposed to organize the content:
- Introduction to the context of the case study
- country, institutional, national agriculture transformation priorities and the leadership context
- Highlight if it is an AGRA-linked case study
- Position statement on the leadership challenge/ experience to be explored
- Essentially expresses a conclusion and sets out the purpose and direction for the reader
- The intention for the organization of the case study
- Outlining the argument
- Explaining the necessity for the action(s) that were taken
- Illustration of the evidence
- Fact based understanding detailing activities implemented, assumptions, challenges and successes
- An action plan which sets goals based on the argument, addresses the actionable content of the argument, has specific long term and short term steps, and identifies risks. It might answer the following:
- How did the leader(s) solve the problem?
- How did they implement/ deliver on a decision?
- How did they improve performance?
- Conclusion providing lessons learnt on what it takes for leaders to successfully and collaboratively deliver on their priorities
The assignment will be carried out between April 2021 – July 30th, 2021
- Qualifications (20%)
– Relevant academic qualifications
- Experience of the consultant (50%)
– Meet requirements as outlined under competencies
– Detailed reference list indicating the scope and magnitude of similar assignments carried out
- Consultant’s methodology, work plan and understanding of the assignment (30% )
NB: Only the candidate with the best technical proposal equal or above 75% shall be considered for financial negotiations
Application Submission Requirements
1. Technical Proposal
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Detailed reference list indicating the scope and magnitude of similar assignments carried out
- Demonstrate possession of qualification and experience required
- Provide methodology, work plan and understanding of the assignment
2. Case studies
- Include two samples of case studies previously done and similar to what is proposed herein
3. Financial Proposal (see Annex A)
- The consultant shall provide a monthly fee for carrying out the assignment
- All applicable taxes (withholding taxes) should be quoted separately
- The financial proposal shall be inclusive of the applicable withholding taxes. If the financial proposal is silent on taxes, AGRA shall assume that these are inclusive;
- Reimbursable costs if applicable shall be quoted separately.
- Price must be quoted in USD ($)
- The financial proposal shall be submitted separately from the technical proposal and should be password protected. Only the best candidate shall be requested for the password to their financial proposal
Guidelines for Preparations and Submission of Proposals
- The proposals and sample case studies SHALL be submitted to [email protected] by deadline indicated in the synopsis
- The proposal and ALL Attachments submitted via email SHALL NOT exceed 10MB
- VALIDITY of the proposal shall be for a period of 90 days from the date of bid closure.
- Financial proposal shall be sent as a separate attachment and MUST be password protected. The password shall be requested from the best technically qualified individual.
To submit your press release: (https://www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/pr).
To advertise on Global Diaspora News: (www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/ads).
Sign up to Global Diaspora News newsletter: (https://www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/newsletter/) to start receiving updates and opportunities directly in your email inbox for free.