Photo credit: DiasporaEngager (www.DiasporaEngager.com).
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Finance Officer – Regional & Program Finance
Reporting to the Senior Finance Officer – Program Finance. S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the finance function for the assigned countries. On financial functions, she/he will be responsible for coordinating and supporting the development and monitoring of budgets and forecasts, liaising with the finance unit in Nairobi to support timely processing of financial transactions, maintaining of a healthy balance sheet, providing audit support and aligning of processes and procedures.
He/ She will also have Program Finance roles, being responsible for the financial management of assigned AGRA’s projects/programs. The program finance team collaborates with the Management Accounting team, Financial Accounting team, Grants team, Internal Audit team, Legal and Program teams to oversee financial policies and procedures supporting AGRA’s administration and management of the Award agreements and sub-agreements; and the implementation of financial oversight mechanisms to ensure financial integrity and compliance with donor requirements across the programs. The team serves as the financial liaison to donors and represents AGRA at donor and project partner meetings and ensure alignment of award budgets, financial reports, strong tracking of program expenditures, continuous analysis of project cash flow, ensuring compliance with AGRA’s and donor policies.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiates and maintains financial analysis and reporting activities for assigned countries and regions
- Creates finance reports and account reconciliation reports according to company policies on periodic basis
- Identifies and resolves invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues for the countries and regions
- Supports the annual financial audit processes through the preparation of standard reports as well as other custom reports as requested within the legal and regulatory framework of assigned Countries
- Initiates and manages countries budgets
- Creates finance journal entries as required for assigned countries
- Leads in the management of account payables and receivables activities for the countries and regions
- Collaborates with the finance, program and country teams in preparation of financial reports and statements for assigned awards, countries and regions.
- Aligns and reconciles countries and regions monthly general ledger balance, invoices and credit card statements
- Maintenance of the general and subsidiary ledgers
- Plans and prepares tax documents for timely filing of company tax
- Organizes and maintains all countries and regions financial records and files as per the company policies
- Organizes the administration processes for all payroll activities as well as oversees vendor payments etc.
- Plans for all bill payments and customer invoicing as per the deadlines with the countries and regions
- Streamline/improve the processes and procedures for operational efficiency, financial reporting and budgeting systems within the assigned countries and regions
- Manage fixed assets for country offices according to AGRA finance policy
- Develop program budgets and budget narratives that are accurate, reasonable, consistent with the strategy, and adhere to donor and AGRA policies
- Analyzes the project expenses, burn rates, and cash received from donors/funders on a monthly basis. Maintain a financial tracking tool for the whole project.
- Creates all financial reports for assigned projects based on the contract obligation schedules.
- Coordinates review of all requests from programs and other for prior approvals (international travel, procurements) and budget modifications with Resource Mobilization
- Analyzes all the projects to ensure that they comply to the project audits in relation to specific donor regulations, accounting best practice and standard provisions.
- Provides periodic budget monitoring reports to the project teams to guide in decision making with the ultimate aim of meeting donor expectations.
- Collaborate with AGRA programs teams and resource mobilization for timely preparation of budgets, and financial reports
- Aligns the postings to the project’s design and budgets and verifies on the accuracy
- Builds and maintains relationship with donors. Correspond with donors on all financial requests.
- Aligns the projects to AGRA’s institutional strategy i.e. reviews all financial implications of grant agreements and contracts to ensure that all cost drivers are sufficiently addressed, and cost elements adequately factored in the proposal.
- Aligns the projects’ components to the funding requirements so that Award risk assessment receives consistent attention and direct support.
- Builds the capacity of the Program staff through training on financial terms, conditions, and standards to ensure that programs are delivered with minimized compliance risk.
- Advocates for compliance with risk and financial controls in the management of the projects through conducting site visits to project locations and sub-recipient offices.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent work experience
- An MBA in any relevant field a strong added advantage
- CPA certification
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or financial monitoring
- Knowledge of global, country/government accounting standards
- Strong analytical, data mining ability
- Understanding of auditing techniques to help ensure countries and regions financial operations remain in compliance.
- Computer proficiency in spreadsheets, presentations and reporting software
- Ability to work independently in a diverse environment
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
- Thoroughly familiar with and experience in working with finance regulations and reporting standards and requirements
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards
- Proven leadership ability to develop, and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach
- Deep understanding of the financial environment within which AGRA is operating
- Highly organized, results and detail orientated with a very hand on approach
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving/decision making ability
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to [email protected]. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 28th April 2021.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To submit your press release: (https://www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/pr).
To advertise on Global Diaspora News: (www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/ads).
Sign up to Global Diaspora News newsletter: (https://www.GlobalDiasporaNews.com/newsletter/) to start receiving updates and opportunities directly in your email inbox for free.